Page last updated:
(#) are not from originals.
The Webmaster would
be very pleased to borrow the original to improve the quality of
on this page will enlarge
when clicked with your mouse
Engine c.1902-3 Picture taken on the Fair Green and copied from an
||The Steamer & Crew at
Hyde Hall (#)
sometime during the period 1908 - 1911. (Is it the
President in his issued uniform on the right?)
in Church Street.
Thought to be around 1905/06, possibly a photograph to celebrate the
opening of the new fire station.
||The Steamer, Wheeled
Escape & Manual Pump.
Picture taken on The fair Green around 1913 -
1915.(Picture supplied by John Dear)
|With acknowledgement to
Joy Marshall whose Grandfather, Arthur Morris - thought to be in this
photograph, was an original member of the Brigade resigning in November
||The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Arran owned Hyde
Hall at the time and was President from the 15th January 1908 following
the first President, Thomas Hugh Mann, until 19th January 1911.
Bryan Nockolds is on the right.
The shop on the right is that of
Charles Riches, Ironmongers.
|Recognisable are: Billie Collins - the Boy
Fireman and to his right, Bryan Nockolds. 2nd Officer Walter Stacey is
at the base of the Escape Ladder, Harry Taylor in the driving seat
(steamer) and Albert John Archer, a founder
member, (with medals) recognised by his grandaughter - Karen Nunn -
also Note below!
(##) For many years the
brigade kept a Manual Fire Engine in the 'small' station bay which at
one time housed the Austin Towing Vehicle and the Leyland Major (after
the first Bedford Water Tender was provided by County. The Manual was
used for display purposes at Fetes etc. Fireman Jack Searl's father
Bridgefoot Farm (Garage) made new wheels for it at some stage and although the two pistons
in the cylinders of the pump had leather washers providing the seal
between the piston and walls of the cylinders it pumped perfectly - a
jet of some 20ft (four men - two each side - pumping) was easily
achievable. The date on the pump housing was 1844 and it was probably manufactured by Merryweather. It is believed that it
originated from White or Leading Roding but it is not known what
happened to it in the end - this latter Manual was not the original
owned by the brigade!
- Chapel Hill 1929?
Fire Engine LH8642(*)
||Dennis LH8462 in the
Church Street Fire Station
by John Dear)
This is assumed
to be one of the Church parades which were attended by many other brigades -
more about these on the Special Occasions page.
|The location is unknown but
two other appliances are present, the ladder of one can be seen in front
and the bonnet and number plate of another behind. Looking on are 2nd
Officer Harry Taylor and Fireman Bill White, plus another?
Apparently a 1913 N-Type pump originally
supplied to London Fire Brigade and obtained by Sawbridgeworth in 1928.
Information source with thanks to Roger Mardon.
|A closer look identifies its
'companion' to the right to be the Steamer. Some Competition
Certificates are on the back wall.
||Parade at Bishop's
1935 Leyland Cub FK4
(supplied by John Dear) - Firemen
recognised are L to R Billie Prior; Frank Wright (seated) Bill Searle;
Bill White (driver); Walter Stacey; Jack Searle (far right). In the
background Orsman's Bakery Shop. Right hand picture - ditto - Walter
Stacey (far right).
||The Golden Jubilee of King
George V. In the picture, the three to the Right, L to R - Reg. Wright
(Back Row) Frank Wright and Jack Taylor.
||Photograph taken at Hyde
Hall Sawbridgeworth to commemorate the supply of the new Leyland fire
appliance purchased by Sawbridgeworth Urban District Council in July1935.
|1935 Leyland Cub FK4
new picture supplied
by John Dear)
Fire Area 12, Division B, Sub-Division 4 Station X
at Hyde Hall Sawbridgeworth, presumably The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Arran
was still in residence in 1935. Hyde Hall was taken over for military
purposes in WWII and after the war became the Royal Wanstead Girls
in March on the disbandment of the National Fire Service on the 1st
April that year -
(Some of the Women's names provided by Dorothea Stubbings - April 2003)
|Left to Right:
Geoff Burrell; Peter Roberts; Jack Riches; Frank Wright; John Wright; Len
Read; Jack Puncher.
|Bedford Water Tender &
Bedford Water Tender
Photograph taken on the Fair Green in 1971
(Now fitted with an Aluminium Extension Ladder)
|Photograph taken to mark the
retirement of Sub Officer Frank Wright - far right. Others L to R.. Fm.
Jack Puncher, Peter Roberts, Geoff Burrell, Jack Riches and L/Fm Len
||Crew members: L to R... Ray ?, Dave Dellow, Brian
Rochester(**), Geoff Burrell, Steve Revel, Sub Officer Len Read, Gordon Clarke,
Puncher and Peter Roberts.
||The Crew and new
Bedford in 1954
Thought to be a photo taken at the time by a
local newspaper but found on Facebook (Thanks to Simon Lincoln -
Hertfordshire Fire & Rescue). Left to Right: Jim Bennet, Jack Puncher,
Bill Hurren, ?, Jack Riches, Ted Fish, Harry Akers, Frank Wright, Harry
Read, Len Read, and Jack Searl.
(**) An original contributor to this web site.